SGPA stands for Semester grade point average which can be obtained in a single semester. It is a grading system given to the students for their accomplishments in the semester examinations.
The average of the grade points achieved by the student in different subjects is called SGPA. The range for SGPA is from 0.00 to 10.00.
Many educational institutions worldwide use SGPA with slight modifications depending on their educational systems.
Semester grade point average (SGPA) is calculated for each semester individually.
Example: let’s say this semester has 4 subjects, and you scored 8,9,7,9 in these 4 subjects. So the average of those 4 grades is equal to 8.4, this will be your SGPA.
- Pubg Names
- Best 10MB games for Android
- Download GB WhatsApp APK
- Download Kinemaster for PC
- Instagram Usernames
- App Cloner Pro Apk Download
- Best Selfie Camera Apps
- Best PS3 Emulators for PC & Android
How to calculate SGPA?
Semester Grade Point Average (SGPA), many educational institutions use this grading system all across the world. SGPA indicates the accomplishment of the students in a single semester.
Follow the given steps to calculate your SGPA :
- First, You must know your credit points which you have secured in each subject.
- Once you know the credit points for each subject, multiply the credit points allotted to each subject with the grades allotted in respective subjects. Now add all the numbers you got.
- Divide the sum by the sum of all credits to get your SGPA.
Let’s take the above example to get the SGPA:
SGPA= points secured in the semester ÷ sum of your credit score
let’s say 9 is equivalent to A, and the credits you’ve got is 4 on 4.0 scale.
8 is equivalent to B+, and the credits you’ve got is 4 on 4.0 scale.
7 is equivalent to B, and the credits you’ve got is 2 on 4.0 scale.
8+9+7+9 = 27, this is the sum of your grade score
4+4+2+4 = 14, this is the sum of your credit score
(8×4)+(9×4)+(7×2)+(9×4) = 118, these are the points secured in the semester.
Now divide this with the sum of your credit score.
118 ÷ 14 = 8.4, this is your SGPA
There are many SGPA calculators available on the internet which are helpful for all the users. You can adjust the grading system from the settings accordingly.
How to Convert SGPA to Percentage?
Follow the given method to convert SGPA to Percentage:
- Subtract your SGPA with 0.75 and then the total with 10.
- percentage = (SGPA – 0.75) x 10
- Let us take the above example to get the percentage.
SGPA = 8.4
Percentage = ( 8.4 – 0.75 ) x 10 = 7.65 x 10
What is CGPA?
CGPA stands for Cumulative Grade Points Average. This grading scheme is generally used in colleges and schools. To measure the results of a student in an academic year.
CGPA is the grade mean that is achieved in all the semesters after the completion of the entire course in a given academic session.
SGPA is calculated for a single semester. Likewise, CGPA for number semesters in an academic year. The average for CGPA is from 0.00 to 10.00.
SGPA to CGPA to Percentage
If you wish to pursue further studies abroad the score needs to be in percentile. After the institutes’ issue the scores in the CGPA system, you still need to convert that CGPA to Percentage.
For this reason, we have set forth the method to convert your CGPA into percentile:
- First, you need the SGPA of all the semesters.
- Now add the SGPA of all the semesters.
- Divide the sum of all the SGPA’s by the number of semesters in that particular academic term.
- The number you get will be your CGPA
For example, SGPA for four semesters, I – 8.4, II – 7.2, III – 6.9, IV – 7.8
- 8.4 + 7.2 + 6.9 + 7.8 = 30.3, this is the sum of all the SGPA’s
number of semesters in an academic term = 4
CGPA = sum of all SGPA’s ÷ number of semesters
30.3 ÷ 4 = 7.5 (this is your CGPA)
To convert the CGPA into percentile, all you need to do is simply multiply the CGPA with 9.5
percentage = CGPA x 9.5
= 7.5 x 9.5 = 71.2 %
There are many CGPA calculators available on the internet which come in handy for all the users. You can adjust the grading system from the settings accordingly.
What is the full form of SGPA and CGPA?
SGPA stands for Semester Grade Point Average, and CGPA stands for Cumulative Grade Point Average.
How to calculate SGPA?
1. To calculate your SGPA, you must first know your credit points of each subject.
2. Now multiply the credit points of each subject with the grade score achieved in each subject.
3. Add the numbers to get the sum.
4. Now, divide the sum of each subject by the sum of all credits.
5. The number you get will be your SGPA.
For example, you scored 8,9,7,9 in 4 subjects. And 4, 4, 2, 4 are the credits you got in those four subjects.
(8×4)+(9×4)+(7×2)+(9×4) = 118, these are the sum of points secured in the semester.
Sum of your credit score = 14
Now divide the sum of the points secured with the sum of your credit score.
118 ÷ 14 = 8.4, this is your SGPA
How to calculate CGPA?
1. First, you need the SGPA’s of all the semesters in an academic year.
2. Now add all the SGPA’s.
3. Divide the sum of the SGPA’s by the number of semesters in that academic year.
4. The number you get will be your CGPA.
5. For example, SGPA of a student for four semesters, I – 8.4, II – 7.2,
III – 6.9, IV – 7.8
8.4 + 7.2 + 6.9 + 7.8 = 30.3
CGPA = 30.3 / 4 = 7.5
6. 7.5 is your CGPA.
How to convert CGPA to a percentage?
To convert CGPA into a percentage, all you need to do is multiply your CGPA with 9.5 and the end number you get is your percentage.
What is considered a good CGPA?
9.5 and above can be considered a good CGPA. 8.0 and above CGPA will be above average.
Why is CGPA important?
A good CGPA can get you into the top universities if you wish to pursue higher studies. But don’t just run behind grades as it is not an important measure when searching for jobs as most of the companies need employers with skills and experience.
What is a good CGPA to get into top engineering colleges?
To get admission in top engineering colleges, the students should acquire 9.8 or above CGPA. You need to score well in your boards as the cut-offs are very high these days.
Are 12th board marks important?
Yes, 12th board marks matter the most if you wish to get admission in top universities such as the University of Delhi, University of Hyderabad, IIT’s, NIT’s etc.
we hope the above information has been helpful to you in calculating your SGPA, CGPA and their percentile.
Although grades are important in getting into your desired university, your command on the subject, skills and experience is what makes you stand on the top of the game.
If you have any further queries regarding this article, let us know in the comment box below.
Feel free to share this article with your Family and Friends.