What is Kali Linux:
Kali Linux is an open-source operating system under Linux distribution which is developed by offensive security. The Kali Linux is specially designed for penetrating testing and digital forensics.
Kali Linux has also known as the hacker’s most loving operating system & it is the most secure operating system as well. it has got more than 600 preinstalled penetrating testing tools & comes under 32/64 bit images.
some of the most popular tools of Kali Linux are Nmap, Aircrack-ng, Kismet, Wireshark, Metasploit Framework, Burp Suite, John the Ripper, Social engineering Toolkit, Maltego, Ettercap, OWASP ZAP and much more
What is UEFI Mode
Back in the old days, the mediator between your pc hardware and software was BIOS which can handle only up to 2TB harddisks.
But these days there are PC which come with more than 2TB and that led to UEFI which means unified extensible firmware interface was born and can support more than 2TB and it has a graphical user interface.
In simple words, it’s the updated version of bios with a lot more features and with a graphical interface and supports more than 2TB hard disks
Kali Linux Minimum requirements:
- 20GB Harddisk free space
- Min of 1GB RAM
- Pendrive & Rufus
Things you do via this dual Boot Kali Linux Guide
- Making free space for Kali Linux on your hard disk via disk management
- Download Kali Linux iso file on your PC/Laptop
- Create Bootable USB Pendrive with Kali Linux
- Installing Kali Linux
Creating Kali Linux Bootable Pendrive
- First of all download Kali Linux 32/64 bit iso file (it’s free to download & open source)
- Then make a bootable pen drive with Kali Linux in just single click using rufus
- Once you have downloaded both the files connect your Pendrive to your Pc/Laptop
- Now open Rufus software by double-clicking on it.
- Select the iso file of Kali Linux on Rufus in boot section and Rufus will automatically detect your Pendrive
- Once you have selected the ISO file click on stat and Rufus will format your Pendrive and start making your Pendrive a kali Linux bootable
Allocating free space for Kali Linux dual boot
Go to Windows search and search for disk management and create an unallocated space of around 20GB for smooth running (You can also allocate 50GB – it’s up to you)
Right-click on any existing partition and select the option shrink
Now enter the amount of space you want to allocate for Kali Linux in 3rd box
1GB = 1024MB
So multiply how much GB you want to allocate
For example if you want 25GB then 20*1024=25600 | If 50GB then 50*1024=51200
So for 25 GB enter 25600 in the third box which says “enter the amount of space to shrink in MB” and click on shrink
Once done it will show you 25GB of of new partition unallocated. which you can see in the below image in black colour.
What you did till now?
- Created a bootable kali Linux Pendrive
- Created Free space for installing Kali Linux
- Next, You will disable secure boot
Restart your PC into Bios/UEFI setup and disable the secure boot. by default, the secure boot will be enabled on your PC/laptop. each manufacture has a different interface and mostly you find the secure boot option under security option
Also diable the fast boot option
Dual-booting Kali Linux:
Now Connect your pen drive & goto bios Mode by pressing F9(For HP users) and select Your pen drive to get into Kali Linux installation window
After getting into Kali Linux install setup, Select install in the graphical mod
Now After selecting install in the graphical mode it will ask you to select language, location & keyboard-configuration
After that, it will ask for a primary network adaptor, simply select wireless network adaptor & click on next. Select your wifi network and connect to it by entering the wifi password.
After connecting to your wifi, you need to configure the hostname which is nothing but the username for your Pc/Laptop (Don’t use space in hostname)
After entering the Hostname, now enter the domain name as www.techyguide.net and click on continue/next
You need to setup password for your Kali Linux, simply set a password and make sure you remember it
It will ask for partition method, simply select manual and click on continue/next
Now select the free space which you allocated for Kali Linux (you can identify based on GB you allocated)
Now select create a partition and enter at least 2gb of disk space and click on next
After clicking on next it will ask location for the new partition, simply select the beginning and hit continue
Now you will see partition settings, goto mount point, and select /boot – static file of the bootloader & click on continue/next. Now select done setting up the partition and click on next. Now you will a new boot partition of 2gb created.
Now again select the free space and select create a new partition and click on next. it will ask for a new partition size, simply enter at least 20gb of size then hit continue and select beginning. it will be already in the / so no need to make any changes. simply click on done setting up the partition. This time you will see a new partition of/with 20gb allocated memory
Now again goto the free space and enter at least 20gb of free space but as we have a huge amount of free space simply enter around 70gb and click on enter now select beginning> mount point: /home> done setting up the partition. Now you will see a new /home partition with 70gb.
This is the final partition for the swap area and it at least needs 2gb or higher. as we have a free space of about 7gb simply select 6/7gb and click on next Now select beginning> use as swap area > done setting up the partition and finally click on finish partition & write changes to disk
Now it will ask for write changes to disk, simply select yes then hit on continue. it will take some time for making the partition & installing the os
After finishing the installation, it will ask for the use of a new mirror. simply select no and click on continue. It will install the GRUB bootloader and you are done dual booting the Kali Linux with Windows 10.
Thats it. we hope you have successfully dual booted kali linux with windows 10
- Dual boot Kali Linux with Windows 10
- Disable Windows 10 updates
- How to remove External USB safely from PC
- Best Bootable USB Software
- Windows Defender Turned Off by Group Policy Fixed
- Best Ram Cleaner for Pc
- Some Settings Are Managed By Your Organization In Windows 10
- How to find out what app is causing pop ups
- Best Folder Lock Software for Windows
- Methods to Download Embedded Videos online For Free
- fix 0xc0000005 The application was unable to start correctly
- Best Dublicate files finder for PC
- Fix com.lge.shutdownmonitor
Dual Boot Kali Linux with Windows 10 Video Guide
How to access Kali Linux in Dual Boot Mode
- To access the Kali Linux you need to get into the boot mode by pressing f9 for hp user.
- After entering the boot mode simply select the Kali Linux and hit enter.
- Your kali Linux will start booting. that it.
How to remove dual boot Kali Linux
- Simply go to the search and type disk management
- select the partition in which you installed Kali Linux
- Now right click on Kali Linux partition and select delete volume.
- That’s it. you have successfully deleted kali Linux dual boot from your Windows 10
I suggest you, use 20 to 50GB for Kali Linux so that there won’t be any lagging. Kali Linux is my fav OS and I have learned so much from it & I think that every new generation should be given kali Linux on their laptops instead of windows 10.
Feel free to share your experience with dual-booting Kali Linux and join our techy guide Telegram group for instant help/solution if you have any problem with dual booting.