0xc0000005 The application was unable to start correctly: If you are here, on this page then it is safe to assume that you might have come across “0xc0000005 The application was unable to start correctly” warning message. You must have questions in your mind like why do I see this warning message? Is there any malware attack that happened to my device? etc.
Do not worry about this warning message, as we have got you covered. Read till the end to know what are the causes and what can you do to fix this error code. Read on!!
Before we jump into the solutions lets look at why it occurs in the first place. This issue usually occurs when you attempt to open a particular software on your Windows 10. Though you will see this error mostly with internet browsers, it is not confined to these only. Due to this stop code, any existing program in your Windows 10 may stop working.
Microsoft had spared no effort in making Windows 10 the most anticipated version among all. We have to agree that they are successful to some extent as well. The device gets complicated when the operating system starts showing different types of annoying code such as 0xc0000005.
More often these issues are caused due to third-party anti-virus, corrupted registries, and bad hardware drivers. As there is no particular reason behind why the error 0xc0000005 occurs, you may require to try several workarounds to get the perfect one.
How do I fix 0xc0000005 The application was unable to start correctly?
Below are a few things you might want to check to Fix 0xc0000005 The application was unable to start correctly. Without further ado, let’s get started.
Method 1: Disabling Third-party Anti-virus software
Any third-party antivirus software can impact executable files that are present on your PC restricting an application to even start. So, it is advisable to disable any third-party antivirus software present on your pc and check if this solves this solves the error or not.
If this did not solve the error then try removing the antivirus program completely from your PC.
Method 2: Enable Windows Defender Firewall
It is better to always better to depend on Windows Defender rather than any third-party antivirus application. The updated version of built-in anti-malware is not the same as its previous counterparts as Microsoft has improved and upgraded it a lot.
It has included a list of functions provided by others as well.
- In the Taskbar search box, type in control panel. you will see a window that says Adjust your computer’s settings. There locate windows defender firewall.
If you cannot locate the windows defender firewall then type in the search bar which is at the top right corner in the adjust your computer’s settings window.
- Click on Windows Defender Firewall. Further, select Turn windows defender firewall on or off from the left pane.
- Next, Turn on the radio button against both private and public network settings. Once done, click OK to save the changes.
Method 3: Scan your entire system with Windows Security
A virus probably one of the most annoying things that can happen to your system. It not only harms your computer but also creates errors such as 0xc0000005 the application was unable to start correctly.
In such scenarios, it is better to scan your system completely to eliminate the malware, if any.
- For this, you need to first press Win+I hotkey to open Windows Settings. In the net window, click on Update & Security.
- Next, Select Windows Security from the left column. Further, click on Virus & threat protection from the right pane.
- Now, you will be able to see the Windows security application. There, click on “Run a new advanced scan”.
- Next, click on the radio button of Full scan and then hit Scan now.
This will start scanning the system, wait patiently till the process is done.
Method 4: Fix the Faulty Drivers
Many a time, error such as 0xc0000005 the application was unable to start correctly may also occur due to outdated or corrupt.
What do these drivers do? you may ask. Well, these drivers are software that helps your system to communicate with the attached hardware. If these drivers are outdated, there may occur certain glitches owing to the interaction error with the Hard disk.
- Firstly, press Win+R hotkey to access the Run Dialog. Type devmgmt.msc in the empty text box and then hit OK.
- On the Device Manager interface, scroll down to check if any device shows the exclamation mark (a warning sign in this case) by expanding one after the other. If found any, right-click and select “Update driver”.
- When a new wizard prompts up, select the first option that is “Search automatically for Updated Driver Software”.
Once done, Reboot your PC and see if the issue has been resolved or not.
Method 5: Repair Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
Most of the times, the error 0xc0000005 The application was unable to start correctly Windows 10 may also occur due to Corrupted Boot Configuration Data.
To fix this error, you need to run minimal codes on the Command Prompt.
- First off, run the Command Prompt as admin.
- Once you see it on the display, type bcdedit and hit Enter to get the path of the Boot Configuration Data (BCD).
Note: If your System’s boot loader location indicates “xOsload.exe” then get rid of some useless files from your PC and then repair your Boot Configuration Data.
Write down the below-given commands. And press Enter at the end of each command
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Note: Some commands may show error like not found, just avoid or skip them and run next to the end of the process.
Method 6: Clean the registry
Registry editor plays a vital role in your Pc as it is the central database of Windows. Any minor or wrong entry will cause the error 0xc0000005 The application was unable to start correctly. The same may occur if the registry gets corrupted or in case of any missing system files.
In such scenarios, try using CCleaner software if the manual process is too complicated.
- To begin with, download the CCleaner program.
- Once done, double click on the setup file. Install and launch it on your PC.
- Next, move the cursor on the left-hand side and press the Registry tab.
- There, click on Scan for Issues button. This will automatically start detecting the bug (if any) in Registry Editor.
- Once done, click on Fix Selected Issue. Wait until the application repairs corrupt registry entries.
The reason behind 0xc0000005 The application was unable to start correctly
There can be several reasons which, in turn, may lead to 0xc0000005 “The application was unable to start correctly” such as
- Usage of any Third-party antivirus program could be one of them. These third-party antivirus programs can mingle with different executable files and create conflicts. These programs can superimpose their operations over default system programs as well.
- Bad Registry is also a potential culprit behind the error 0xc0000005 the application was unable to start. Often, it gets corrupted when there is a malware attack. It can get corrupted even if you have written/ deleted some entries in the Registry Editor.
- Outdated or corrupt Hard disk Driver may also craft this bug.
- League of Legends not opening fix
- XNXUBD 2020 Nvidia new Video
- Fix Nvidia GeForce experience error code 0x0001
- Fix NVIDIA GeForce Experience Error Code 0x0003 in windows 10
- [pii_pn_7cb487117f21abdb] Error Code Fix
- [pii_pn_433d16fe7dda6606] Error code Fix
- [pii_email_b47d29538f12c20da426] Error code Fix
- [pii_email_096d854470c8a6a62b16] Error code Fix
- [pii_email_aef67573025b785e8ee2] Error Code Fix
- [pii_email_1bc24f13e6217fe6e335] Error Code Fix
- [pii_email_e5cd1a180e1ac67a7d0e] Error Code Fix
We hope this article has been helpful to you. In this article, we have listed out all the possible methods that help you fix the error 0xc0000005 the application was unable to start correctly.
If you have any queries related to this article, let us in the comment section below. If you know of any other methods that have helped you fix this error other than the mentioned ones, let us in the comment box.
Feel free to share this article with your friends and family that are facing the same error.